January 1988 - August 2019
* * * *
using CanLII site
What does the ALRB do?
The Alberta Labour Relations Board (ALRB) is an independent and impartial tribunal responsible for the day-to-day application and interpretation of Alberta's labour laws. The role of the ALRB is to interpret and apply the legislation governing collective bargaining including:
- how and under what conditions a trade union may claim the status of exclusive bargaining agent for a group of employees;
- how the employer and union must bargain to reach or renew a collective agreement;
- what kinds of union and employer conduct is prohibited; and
- when the parties may have recourse to a strike or lockout.
Amendments to Labour Legislation:
The Labour Relations Code has undergone a number of amendments between 2017 and 2019, made by:
- The Act to Enhance Post-secondary Academic Bargaining, SA 2017, c 4;
- The Fair and Family-friendly Workplaces Act, SA 2017, c 9;
- The Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Amendment Act, 2017, SA 2017, c 11;
- The Act to Make Alberta Open for Business, SA 2019, c 8.
As amendments to the Labour Relations Code come into effect, the most up-to-date amended Code can be found on the Queen’s Printer website. A link to the Code can be found here found here.
The Board has published new and revised Information Bulletins outlining the Board’s procedures for various new types of applications, which can be found below. For any new type of application not specifically dealt with, applicants should follow the Board’s Information Bulletin #2 generally, and the Director of Settlement will advise the parties of any further requirements.
The Board’s Rules of Procedure and Voting Rules have been updated.
Additional Information Bulletins and the Board’s Policy and Procedure Manual will be further updated to reflect changes to the legislation and the Board’s new procedures. Until that updating process is completed, please note the legislation governs in the event of any inconsistency.
The Board thanks the community for its understanding as these changes are implemented. Watch this space for Bulletins and other changes as they are published.